Just over the Welsh border, Chester is a contemporary city with a rich heritage.
Immerse yourself in 2,000 years of history, sample the shops, cafes and restaurants, relax on the river or spend a day at the races. Chester has something for the whole family. Arrive by train and it’s just a ten minute walk from the station to the city walls.
- Cardiff Central to Chester: 3 hours
- Llandudno to Chester: 1 hour
- London Euston to Chester: 2 hours
- Cathedral at Height, tour behind the scenes of gothic Chester Cathedral and get the best views in the city from the top of the tower.
- The Rows, delve into shopping heaven in these 700 year old medieval galleries - two tiers of shops from household names to tiny independents.
- River cruises, get a completely different view of the sights on a city cruise or afternoon tea cruise along the River Dee with ChesterBoat.
- Chester Races, experience the thrill of raceday, or take in a polo match at Britain’s oldest racecourse - 25 minutes’ walk from the station.
- Chester Zoo, explore 125 acres of habitats and over 21,000 exotic and endangered animals, a couple of miles north of the city.
A weekend in Chester
Chester has been voted one of Europe’s prettiest cities, and it’s not hard to see why. Rain or shine, there’s plenty to keep you busy.
Discover Chester’s Roman history on a walk around the oldest, longest and most complete city walls in Britain. Download the Chester Walls Quest app for challenges, interesting facts and stories along the way, or take a guided Roman Tour with your own Centurion. Visit the country’s largest Roman Amphitheatre - it’s free to enter - then lose yourself amongst the archaeological relics at the Grosvenor Museum.
Go animal crazy with discounted entry to Chester Zoo when you buy a Combination Ticket with your train ticket - it includes your zoo admission and return bus travel from Chester station. Or get up close to amazing birds of prey with a falconry experience for the whole family in the grounds of the cathedral. There are daily flying displays, reptiles, beautiful grounds and children’s nature trails.
Shop for treasures and bargains - Chester is bursting with boutiques, independent shops and high street stores. From the covered timber walkways of The Rows to the Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet mall just north of the city, you’re sure to find something special whatever your budget. Or head to Chester Indoor Market for everything from fresh local produce, books and music, to fancy dress, garden and homewares.
Enjoy festivals and shows with a year round programme of events for all the family. There’s open air theatre by the river in the summer, a varied series of festivals: food, music, film and literature, and the Storyhouse theatre, library, restaurant and cinema.
Plan your trip - find out what’s on in Chester