The ancient city of Chester, with its recognisable red stone Roman fortifications, is a popular UK destination. Archaeologists are finding rich pickings as they excavate the large amphitheatre that lies just outside the walls, with many of their treasures ending up in the impressive Grosvenor Museum. For history buffs, this is a must-see.
Chester’s many family-friendly attractions include the Jodrell Bank Observatory. This has been granted UNESCO World Heritage Site status in recognition of its significant cultural and scientific impact. Chester Zoo is another must-visit, and while you’re there, why not adopt an animal. This dramatically helps with their ongoing international conservation projects, and makes an unusual gift for someone.
However, many people visit Chester to experience the medieval Rows. Amongst the dramatic and well-preserved half-timber, black and white buildings that Chester is renowned for, the Rows are a unique two-storey Tudor ‘shopping centre’. The bottom rows consist of all the high street big names you’d expect, but venture to the first storey and you’ll find a secret world of artisan boutiques tucked away. Filled with colourful handcrafted wares, such as knitwear, handmade jewellery, and studio glass artwork - perfect for a browse, and maybe a purchase or two!
Before getting the train home, why not catch a show at the award-winning Storyhouse Theatre. This impressive complex has a year-round programme of events and live performances, and is conveniently surrounded by numerous fine dining restaurants - the perfect way to finish your day in Chester.
With our downloadable app, you can book tickets and check train timetables on the move, allowing you the option of spending more time in this glorious city, and our Twitter feed will keep you updated with any travel reports as they happen.
- What are the ways to buy your ticket?
- What destinations does TfW cover?
- Transport for Wales covers a vast area of the UK. Our trains cover the wide and varied landscape of Wales, stopping at cities, towns, and villages across the country. We also run services through North West England, the West Midlands and Gloucestershire. For more details on where our trains run, follow this link.
- Why choose Transport for Wales?
- By putting our passengers at the heart of all we do, Transport for Wales offers an excellent service throughout Wales and the West of England. Allowing you to arrive at your destination relaxed and refreshed, we ensure that your comfort and safety are our uppermost considerations.
- What types of train tickets can you get?
- By considering all the options, Transport for Wales offer a vast range of ticket deals, allowing you to save money and hassle by choosing the option most suited to your requirements.See here for more details